Building and Harvesting

It has been long overdue for us to announce that our project has officially been funded by 42 very generous backers!!  We have been VERY busy bees gathering bins, soils, plants, and various other little things to make our garden a reality, and we have all of you to thank for it.

Having said that, you’re probably wondering how the garden construction is going.  Needless to say, it’s certainly been a learning experience for all of us, and it hasn’t been without mistakes and roadblocks along the way.  To satiate your curiosity’s appetite, here are some pictures (with captions) of what we’ve been up to:

This is the glorious and stately beehive in it’s current incarnation.  We’ve been able to add two more “stories”, one for winter honey storage, and one for comb honey production.  The bees have been using the honey box for some larvae production as well, which definitely says something about the health of the colony.  Maybe next year we can have two hives!

This is an overall view of half of the garden as of earlier today.  The plants have really filled out their bins since we planted them a month ago.  On this side of the garden we have raspberries, blueberries, beach plums, some herbs and greens, and a whole lot of nectar flowers!

The other half of the garden – corn, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and melons.

Raspberries!

These have grown a whole lot since I took this picture.  At last count, we had NINE eggplants coming in!

A little veggie/herb bin – Kale, Swiss Chard, Lavender, Thyme and Chamomile

This was the last we saw of the Echinacea before it was choked out by the mint.  On the plus side, we did get a whole bunch of Echinacea seeds.

We have voted this bin as the one that did the best thus far (although it may be a tie with the eggplants).  That sedem ground cover that is flowing over the sides was taken out of a landscape as a weed, and took to the bins extremely well, as you can see.

Anton the beekeper, taming the bees with some campfire smelling wood pellets which are being burned in the smoker.  The bees, smelling the smoke, think their hive is on fire, and make a mad dash to guzzle up as much honey as they can, in case they have to relocate.  This makes it harder for them to fly around and sting.

Carefully prying a comb out…

Bees!

Clusters of bees!

Though our gardening experience has been fun and exciting, it has not been without hardship.  This bin was flooding every time it rained.  We eventually scrapped it all together, due to how weak the bin itself was, and are currently working on relocating the plants (tomatoes and asparagus) to other bins where we can fit them.

The blueberries (and a few other bins) had some flooding problems as well, which we remedied by cutting more holes near the water line.  We haven’t had many problems since then.

Then came Hurricane Irene.  To prepare, we moved all of the plants up against the building, and gave the hive a special rain coat and some extra weight.  Worked like a charm, and we had little to no damage throughout the garden.

And here is the fruit of our labor, our first honey harvest!!


So thanks again to anyone who helped us with our funding.  If you haven’t yet, you will be contacted shortly regarding the things you were promised for your donation, including the harvest party, which we will be having sometime in October, depending on when everything seems to be ready to harvest.

Thanks for stopping by!!

– The Hive Gardener and Beekeeper

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: